Fort Burgoyne

Since there have been significant changes in the usage of the Connaught Barracks site over the past 140 years, its appearance has changed significantly over time.  The area identified as the developable area contains post-war utilitarian buildings which were built by Messrs. C. Jenner and Son in 1962. 

Fort Burgoyne

Aerial view of Fort Burgoyne today

Aerial view of Fort Burgoyne today

The oldest structure on site is Fort Burgoyne, formerly referred to as Castle Hill Fort. Construction on the Fort first started in 1861, when the casemated barrack block, the caponiers, the parade ground, the outworks, batteries and flanking galleries were built until 1864.  Between 1869-70 wing batteries and battery fortifications were added.

The Fort is the only Royal Commission initiated land fort in Kent and is of the Palmerston polygonal design typical of many of those other land forts that were built during the 1860s and 1870s.

Changes to the Fort

The Fort and its surrounds have been much altered since construction started. Many of those changes have been undertaken to cater for the changes in the Fort’s usage during the past 140 years and also to take into account the advancements that have taken place in military warfare during this period.  

Cannon at Fort Burgoyne

Canon at Fort Burgoyne

Between 1912 and 1920s the Fort was used as a defence fortification and barracks, and anti-aircraft positions were located in the Fort.  It was used as an Air and Sea Defensive fortification during WW2, and the Fort Casemates were used as overflow barracks to the main barracks site.  Pillboxes, gun emplacements, anti-tank gun emplacements and blast walls were also installed during that time.

For more information about the history of Dover please see the Dover Museum website.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: